The Ferdiad Cycle
" We are the strong arm of faith. Without fear, without reproach.
We are paladins and we are judgement made flesh. "
- Grandmaster Balor, Order of the Valiant
The Order of the Paladin is an important part of the Corwynt temples, acting as the enforcers of it’s ideals and virtues. While they are few in numbers, each is an expert warrior as they are recruited at an early age from children gifted with white magic who are not deemed suitable to be raised as a Cleric.
There are many different knightly circles within the order dedicated to each of the six Virtues. They all obey the grandmaster who in turn is accountable to the Arch Lector. All the same each member of the order is expected to uphold the Paladin’s Vow – a strict code of chivalry:
- Serve the gods and maintain their temples
- Serve the liege lord in valour and faith
- Protect the weak and defenceless
- Give succour to widows and orphans
- Refrain from the wanton giving of offence
- Live by honour and for glory
- Despise pecuniary reward
- Fight for the welfare of all
- Obey those placed in authority
- Guard the honour of fellow knights
- Eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
- At all times speak the truth
- Persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
- Respect the honour of women
- Mistreat not the prisoners of war
- Never refuse a challenge from an equal
- Never turn the back upon a foe